OUR COMMITMENT TO SAFETY
This Safety information will tell you what to expect from those who work with children and our Seniors when they are at the Kroc Center. First and foremost, you should know we will show our participants care through respect and by keeping them as safe as possible. We are really pleased that you have chosen to allow your loved ones to be a part of the Kroc Center family here at The Salvation Army.
KROC ASSOCIATES HAVE BEEN CAREFULLY SELECTED AND TRAINED TO CARE FOR THEM
- Kroc Staff are background checked before hire, take training in child and elder abuse prevention and are trained annually.
- There is on call Child and Elder Abuse Consultant with over 15 years experience to consult, train and process reporting. • There should always be at least two adults in the area so kids are not alone. One adult may teach while another walks in the hallway, but there should be two adults around.
- Adults cannot promise to keep secrets. If a child tells a Kroc Associate something dangerous, they may need to tell someone who can help.
- Adults should not: offer children a ride on their own, touch children in a way that makes them feel scared or uncomfortable or arrange to meet children on their own.
- Adults may not send children private messages by: text, email, instant message, Facebook or other electronic means. Guardians should know when children are talking with our staff.
- IF AN ADULT (member, participant, staff, guest) ASSOCIATED WITH THE SALVATION ARMY DOES ANY OF THESE THINGS, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU TELL A MANAGER, DIRECTOR OR THE PTM CONSULTANT IMMEDIATELY.
- Tell the Child Safety Experts at our headquarters by completing a Notice of Concern.
- These forms are available by sending a letter to the PTM Coordinator at 6845 University Ave San Diego CA 92115.
KROC CENTER PARENT SUPERVISION POLICIES
- Parents/guardians must stay at the Kroc Center while children attend classes, if the child is under age 12. Some classes require the parent to stay in the room (see your program manager).
- Children under age 12 must be escorted by a parent/guardian to their class(es).
- Children under age 12 must be picked up by their parent/guardian in the class area. If the child is not picked up, they will be escorted to the Guest Service Desk.
- Children ages 12–18 can walk to and from class on their own. However, we strongly suggest parents/guardians escort them to/from the building.
- All classes must be paid for in advance.
- Parents/guardians should report any concerns about classes, Kroc associates or building maintenance to a Guest Service Associate.
- Parents have an open invitation to observe programs in which their children are involved. However, parents who want to participate in or have continuous, ongoing contact with their child’s programs will be required to complete the volunteer application process.
- Please make leaders aware of any information about your child or family that they may need to know to effectively care for your child (e.g. medical needs, special needs, court orders, issues of access).